Thursday, September 04, 2008

Sovereign

I was reading Ezekiel this morning and stumbled across a phrase.

"When this happens, you will know that I am the Sovereign LORD."

It reminded me how we slip into the delusion that the things that happen in our lives are somehow a product of our own efforts or our own deservedness, or our own positive thinking.

Now i realize i must work honestly and honorably in this life. That in that way i share the responsibility of my fate. Sometimes lazy hands make a man poor (Proverbs 10:4)

I also realize that if i think i can, there is a better chance of my caboose cresting whatever mountain is ahead of me.

But if i think i am blessed because i deserve it, i am deluded. If i think my life is blessed cause i did good or cursed cause i do evil. If i think that i can have whatever i want if i just believe, i have forgotten that there is a God who is sovereign.

Time and time again God acts to show us That he is, who he is, and what he is like and we miss it.

Today I'm going to look with more care, to see the sovereignty of God.

And i'm going to be thankful that the God who is sovereign is also the God whose love has no limits, whose grace has no measure, his power has no boundaries known unto man. And out of His infinite riches in Jesus, He gives and gives and gives again.

No comments: